- Tom Smith Online
- Support Tom at Patreon
- Buy Tom's Music at Bandcamp
- Host a House Concert
- Tom's Facebook Musician Page
- Tom's Facebook Personal Page
- The FuMP - The Funny Music Project
- 2015 Appearances
- Apr 3-5: ConGlomeration (Louisville, KY)
- Apr 24-26: PenguiCon (Southfield, MI)
- May 8-10: MarCon (Columbus, OH)
- Jun 5-7 (hopeful): FuMPFest (Wheeling, IL)
- Jun 26-28 (hopeful): LibertyCon (Chattanooga, TN)
- Jul 30-Aug 2 (hopeful): GenCon Indy
- Aug. 19-23: Sasquan, the 73rd World Science Fiction Convention (Spokane, WA)
- Sep 4-7: DragonCon (Atlanta, GA)
- Sept 26-28 (tentative): FenCon (Addison, TX)
- Oct 23-25: OVFF (Worthington, OH)
- Nov 13-15: WindyCon (Lombard, IL)
- Nov. 20-22: SFConTario (Toronto, ONT, Canada)
- Nov 27-29: ChessieCon (Baltimore, MD)
Sun, Aug. 18th, 2013, 04:12 pm
Upcoming Conventions, House Concert Possibilities, and Concert Window
I am bummed that I did not make GenCon Indy this year, but it was my own fault. I really didn't plan for it, and I didn't save up any money for it. Even if I had made it, it would've been a skin-of-the-teeth thing, and that ain't no way to do something like GenCon. So, next year.
Meantime, I have a lot
of upcoming stuff, and you can all be part of it:
This entry was originally posted at http://filkertom.dreamwidth.org/1636862.html. You may comment there or here, although LJ tends to have a livelier conversation at this time.
- First, of course, are the conventions I will be attending.I think and hope I will have some new stuff for Dragon etc., and not just concert audio.
- Second: The FenCon/ConChord/Back To OVFF trip. Between FenCon and ConChord, I will have about ten days to play with. Three of them will be spent in travel just getting out there; I'll likely spend a few days visiting my mom, out in Phoenix. Once I get to San Diego, I hope to spend one day up in Anaheim, at Disneyland.
I'd like at least one, and up to three, to be house concerts. If anybody's interested.
The available dates would be Oct. 8-14, depending on where I am on my westward journey -- e.g., it's much easier for me to do Texas on the 8th through 10th than on the 13th and 14th. Anywhere in Dallas, or possibly Austin; along I-20, or I-10, heading towards Arizona; or between San Diego and Los Angeles. A few hours of absolute insanity, live in your living room/den/gazebo/whatever. You know the drill: I ask a small donation; the host/hostess gets free albums and a recording of the concert; the other guests get serious discounts on merch; and everyone gets a silly, fun evening.
Just for everyone's convenience, my intention is to stay at a local hotel where possible, although we can talk about that.
Anyone interested in hosting something?
- I've been thinking of doing a live video concert or three for awhile now... but the tech has always been a bit shaky. Not anymore. Concert Window has opened up the possibility of actually being able to charge admission and everything (including a pay-what-you-want option), while having WAY more robust servers than anything I could access otherwise.
So. If I had a half-hour to forty-five-minute online concert at Concert Window -- say, sometime in December -- would anybody be interested?
Sun, Aug. 18th, 2013 09:41 pm (UTC)
In case you forgot, said this before, let me know if you're ever coming through Denver and want to do a house concert.
Sun, Aug. 18th, 2013 10:04 pm (UTC)
Huh. It's not impossible this trip, m'friend, but it would have to be on Tuesday the 22nd. My ultimate plan is to leave San Diego on Monday Morning, heading toward Columbus for OVFF. It's about two days' drive to Denver, so I could be there late Tuesday afternoon. Anything else would have to wait for spring.
Sun, Aug. 18th, 2013 11:00 pm (UTC)
10-22 is not impossible. It would require an indoor space larger than my house. I will contact my friend JD, whose wife works at a church with space that's been used for this kind of thing, and find out if it is possible.
Mon, Aug. 19th, 2013 12:25 am (UTC)
If you are coming across 80 and need a place to stay, we may be able to work something out. We are 6 hours west of Chicago.
Sun, Aug. 18th, 2013 10:17 pm (UTC)
I was thinking about this too, but the fact that Denver is a whole extra day or two tacked onto his itinerary kinda makes it difficult.
However, I'd be very interested in how this "Concert Window" thing works.Edited at 2013-08-18 10:20 pm (UTC)
Sun, Aug. 18th, 2013 10:59 pm (UTC)
Absolutely I'd be interested in a live online Tom Smith concert! It's been years since I've been able to get to a con to see you.
Sun, Aug. 18th, 2013 11:52 pm (UTC)
Concert: Interested, maybe. But mid-December, I definitely cannot predict. Oh, life. Life.
Mon, Aug. 19th, 2013 02:41 am (UTC)
This trip, on the way home, please make a left at Albuquerque. :)
As for the multi-convention trip, it sounds like you are going to have a good time and hopefully come out with a few new songs and not another intro to "Operation Desert Storm".
As for the Concert Window option, I would be interested in seeing it, date permitting.. Would you be broadcasting from home or from a house concert or other location? (Even if I miss the online concert, I hope you do make the audio available afterwards.)
Mon, Aug. 19th, 2013 03:50 am (UTC)
Totally interested in the online live concert. Now I wish I still lived in Boulder. Oh well.
Mon, Aug. 19th, 2013 06:15 pm (UTC)
I can't host, no room. I'm not sure who does have the room since I never attended one. But I'd love to try out an online concert. Provided I remember to attend. I hear about these google hangout video events then forget about them. I got a Google Nexus, it should be a snap to attend.